“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Don't Have

I got an award for my 5 years in the Army and the first thing I thought was "I deserved more than this". Why do I do that? Because I know how much I have sacrificed, and I had expected something significant for that, and I didn’t get what I thought I deserve.

Frances Chan says "we are programed to focus on what we don't have... We forget that we already have everything we need in Him" (Crazy Love 30).

I have been fairly anxious lately about my future and whether I'm making the right decision. In so many ways this solidifies my plan for the future. People, like my leadership in the Army, will always leave me wanting more, but God is more than enough.

When I think about the lessons I learned, the skills I gained and the people’s lives I touched during my time in the Army, I realize how much more those things are worth than a piece of metal and ribbon on my uniform. I don’t do the things I do, for awards, I do them to glorify Christ. 
“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.” (Matt 6:1)
I do not want to forfeit my reward in heaven for a few “Atta boys” here on earth. Jesus loves me who I am and where I am in my life right now! He will Justify me by His blood and perfect me through the circumstances I am placed in each day.  
Reflection Question: Are you looking for accolades here on earth, or are you storing up your rewards in Heaven?

1 comment: