“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Silence

I love the times in my life when I feel God, when I hear Him and when I can specifically convey His message to those around me! That is exciting, fulfilling and awe inspiring. Watching someone take something I’ve written and apply it to their life the way God intended is one of the coolest experiences!

I have heard from some of my greatest and some of my most surprising readers that they truly appreciate my transparency and real world perspective on the “God stuff”. That is what I want to be: notably honest about who I am, who God has made me and how I see eternity. Most of the time, I can see so much eternity in ever day life, I can’t help but write it down. Without even trying, I see God’s hand at work through the Holy Spirit opening my spiritual eyes. That part is so easy and natural for me. Just type or write out what the Eyes of My Heart are seeing. It has got to be really funny to see me hard at work when I don’t have my netbook handy, pecking  out an entry on my iPhone that I just can’t help but get down and saved.

In the silent times, the valleys, the trough of the roller-coaster, so to speak, it’s much harder to be excited, to trust God and to listen. Everything else makes so much noise and pulls my attention elsewhere. It’s in these times though, that I learn the most about my character. From my perspective I have a looooong way to go.

“[We] have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” (2 Cor 10:4b-5)

When I don’t have to work at it very much, I listen to God and bask in the enjoyment of His craft. I am less likely to sin: gossip, unholy thoughts, profane language, etc. while I’m enjoying the spiritual peaks. During those valleys, the Devil likes to coax his way in to my life, slowly as not to be noticed. Sneaky sneaky like, he puts thoughts of entitlement, dereliction of duty,  depression, anxiety, anger, rage, and disappointment into my head, like they are always there… like they Should be there. These can become strongholds for the Devil in my life, and this is where capturing EVERY thought and matching it up to The Living Word of truth is so very important.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Phil 4:6-7)

“[The Devil] was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” (John 8:44)

My relationship with God doesn’t suffer when I don’t hear from Him, it suffers when He doesn’t hear from me! He sets eternity in each of our hearts; it is up to me to seek Him out. It’s not about a feeling I get or motivation or even inspiration. IT is about my relationship with the Holy Trinity, and the devotion I commit to that no matter the season of my life. Having this kind of relationship should not be the “top of your priority list”. It should be a part of Every aspect of that list; vitally integrated into every facet of our lives from the mundane to the once in a lifetime.

“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” (Matt 6:33)

“I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.” (Isaiah 55:6)

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”  (Luke 12:31)

Reflection Question: Is your relationship with God on your priority list? Is it the top? Or is He part of every priority?

No comments:

Post a Comment