“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Great Expectations

I tend to pray for things I already expect to come true. What kind of faith is that?  I want to have Great Expectations and therefore pray for big powerful things to a big powerful God.  Was he not the one who said “let there be light” and there was light?  Why then do I pray to get to work on time instead of an end to world hunger, with a focus on how I, myself, can make a difference.  Sure I give my $10 a month to feed starving children in Africa... but what does that mean?  

Do you know how big a mustard seed is? About 1-2mm! Yeah, it’s like one of the tiniest seeds. If I have faith the size of one of the tiniest seed available “I can say to that mountain, move, and it will move” (Matthew 17). Really! Move a mountain? Wow, how can I have that kind of faith?!?

I also read a wonderful explanation this week about this parable.  Beth Moore in "Believing God", told it this way, before Jesus told his disciples that they could move that mountain, they all climbed up the mountain to see Him transfigured. So it is also for us who put our faith in Him; if we ask God to move the mountain and it won’t move, assume that Christ wants you to climb that mountain instead and see Him transfigured. I don’t know which is more amazing! To see a mountain move or to see Christ transfigured!

Reflection Question: Are you prepared for mountains to be moved? 

No comments:

Post a Comment