“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ouch

We have officially been in Colorado for six days; skiing for 5 days, with a one day break and I'm smoked! I have bruises on my shins that cause me to whimper at the slightest bit of pressure. So you can imagine that the force caused by my inertia while I try to gracefully glide down the mountain is more like a scary movie where I try not to crash.  To add to the out of control dance I seem to be choreographing, my quad muscles have never been this exhausted. It's like I'm tempting fate every time I choose to point the tips of my skis down the mountain.

I am far too stubborn to waste the money we spent on lift tickets and quit skiing. But even more than that, there is an amazing thing happening here at Snowmass this week. The DAV (disabled vets of America) is hosting their Miracle on a Mountainside for the 25th year. There are skiers and snowboarders with no legs, with one leg, half paralyzed, and blind. And those are just the men and women I have met. There are about 325 vets and twice as many volunteers making this miracle happen.

It's so inspiring to see these disabled vets and volunteers all over the snow. From the bunny slopes to the most rigorous black diamonds there is so much strength and love. The strength it takes for a blind vet to get on skis and navigate down a slippery snow-covered mountain side and the love and patience it takes for two volunteers (one in front as a vocal guide, and one behind with guide straps to use if necessary) to take something they love and apply it to someone who couldn't do it without them. It makes me want, even more than ever before, to make a positive impact on the world!

Reflection Question: How will you make your positive impact on the world?

photo used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment