“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cramming

On my way to Colorado, the man across the aisle was so tall with such long legs he was literally crammed into the seat. His knees were uncomfortably smashed against the chair in front of him. It seemed like every few minutes he would rustle and twitch in his seat to try to "fit" better, but no matter what position he tried to contort, there was no way to fit into that small space. 

Don't we do that with God? We try to cram Him into what our little minds can handle, so we can think we understand.

In our human dullness, God didn’t even have words to explain who He fully is to Moses. All He could explain is that He is the one who always was, and is, and is to come… by saying I am who I am.

“God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (Exodus 3:14)

“Day and night [the angels] never stop saying:
   “‘Holy, holy, holy
   is the Lord God Almighty,’
   who was, and is, and is to come.”
Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever.” (Rev 4:8-9)

I don't think I want to serve a God I can fully understand. God is mystical. I barely made it through the first level of college calculus. If God is relegated to the likes of what I can understand, we are in bigger trouble than I thought. Those people who cruise right through math may never be able to explain a Shakespearian sonnet. The truth is, we are made in the likeness of God, but none other than Jesus can claim to be or understand God. Even Jesus did not think he could understand God. He did, however know that The Father's plan was best.

“In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” (Phil 3:5-7)

In Gethsemane Jesus prayed: “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” (Mark 14:36)

This will not stop me from following Jesus or from trying to liken my life to His. As a matter of fact, serving God who is so much more than I could ever imagine has me seeking after Him that much more!

Reflection Question: Have you crammed God into something you can understand? Or do you serve the I AM?

No comments:

Post a Comment