“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Knock Knock

Who’s there?

When Jesus knocks, he has something a little different for each of us. The thing is, we don’t really know what that will be until we open the door.  Sadly, most people never answer his knock. Then, some people answer the door and invite Jesus in, just to kick him out and slam the door in his face.

“Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.” (Rev 3:19-20)

The specifics will be different for all of us, but the basic call to each of us is the same. The greatest commandment is: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:30-31)

I have heard Jesus knocking since I chose to follow Him back in 2001. In so many ways I followed his callings for me. I started a Bible study in my sorority with another Christian sister, I spent a summer in Yellowstone on a mission trip, and I changed from one ministry (the one where I met Jesus) to another based on His calling for my ministry.

When I got married and had my first baby boy, following Jesus became much more difficult. Working 12 hour days for the Army, trying to take care of my family; life was just so busy! I always tried to honor Him in my day-to-day, loving the unlovables in the military. I asked my pastor to start a lunchtime Bible study on post so I could attend, and invited everyone I could, but it never felt like enough. I was plagued with depression and anxiety at different times.

As my transition off of active duty began, I had a million ideas running through my mind of what I should do next. Go back to school, work in the family sales business, try to get an active position with the National Guard… but none of that felt right either.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD” (Jer 29:11-14; emphasis mine)

Back in November, I heard the call into ministry, but all the pressures of this world and desire to make money led me to seek out other options. After looking into numerous possibilities, and even trying out some… I felt Jesus saying, “You can do this… but you’re just delaying the inevitable. I have something planned for you.” I knew that I would never be satisfied with my plans, but I had to let go and follow His. Totally scary for someone like me who likes to plan, but I know that although my plans might have been good, His plan is always best. So why settle for good when you can have the best? I don’t know where it is going to take me, but I’m choosing to follow Jesus into the ministry field. Look for Overflow with Hope Ministry in the near future!

Reflection Question: Jesus is knocking; have you opened the door to Jesus?

2 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for the next steps you are taking with the Lord. We all know that when you travel in His path, you will always get to your destination. Though it is going to be difficult, overwhelming and EXHAUSTING... it will all be worth it :) You are an amazing inspiration to me, and I am so thankful to have you in my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great how well God works in our lives. I just read this in Matthew 22:37-40 during my daily bible reading: Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love you neighbor as yourself. All the Law and Prophets hang on these two commandments."

    We are still so much in sync, don't you think? Like kappapatrice above said, you are such an inspiration to me too. I have you to thank (in addition to God, of course) for my renewed relationship with God and Christ. You are the best daughter any father could ever ask for. Love you Honey. Keep up the great work you're doing for God as you will inspire many, many more. (disregard the Sherry Novelli name, I'm using Sherry's computer at the moment) -dad

    ReplyDelete