“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Airing Dirty Laundry

I was at the laundromat recently cleaning some much overdue Army equipment that some mice thought they would take up residence in, about a year ago.  As I was trying to catch up on some reading, I noticed that the lady who oversees the laundromat was trying to fill up a map with each of the state quarters. Since I was doing laundry and had a pocketful of quarters, I offered her any of mine that she needed. Sure enough she found 2 or 3 she needed and was overly grateful!

Ms. Sonya, the "quarter lady", was listening to some music in Spanish- let me just say she is not Hispanic. I heard her telling another man that she doesn't actually speak Spanish, but the she felt like the Spirit was speaking to her soul when she listened to worship music in Spanish. She wanted to learn to speak the language, but she found it to be too confusing.  As I was folding and packing up my stuff, she walked over to me and I piped in saying that Spanish is actually much easier to learn than English.

We got to chatting a little more and I recommended that she sincerely pray about moving to a Spanish speaking country and following that call of the Spirit. Her eyes lit up. She had never thought of that before! She told me that once her daughter who is a sophomore in HS graduated, she had nothing else tying her to this area. She thanked me over and over again for bringing this idea to her and asked me to pray for her. As I left we embraced in a hug and I promised to pray for her and her for me. And just think, had I been too preoccupied or selfish to share a couple measly quarters that all spend the same to me no matter what state it has on them I could have missed out on this special opportunity to encourage.

“In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:  Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.” (2 Tim 4:1-2)

I just know that all of you reading this will pray also for Ms. Sonya and her Spirit's calling.

Reflection Question: Are you listening in a way that you can encourage others?

No comments:

Post a Comment