“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Gift that Keeps on Giving

“Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2 Cor 9:7)

I just love Christmas :) Sure, I love getting stuff from people, who doesn’t? And I really love Christmas Cards-- especially the ones with pictures so I can see how people have changed and grown...But do you know what I really love? I love giving a gift that I think is really meaningful and that I think someone will enjoy. I get soooo excited about seeing people opening these kinds of gifts.  I don’t even want acknowledgement, but I do want to see their face light up with delight! The anticipation until that distinct someone in your life opens the specially picked out gift rivals the anticipation of waiting for Santa Claus to come bring presents when you are a child!

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:11-13)

I think Jesus felt that way when he gave us the Holy Spirit. He knew that He, Jesus, could only be in one place at a time while He was here on earth in that human body, but He was going to send us a wonderful gift-- an outpouring of Himself that each of us, at all times, could keep in our hearts if we asked for it.

Jesus knew that we would need a continuous renewing of our faith. We are an anxious, fearful bunch of people and we need constant affirmation that everything is going to be alright and He knew exactly what we needed to get through this life.  He gave us an advocate, a true gift of love. Sure it would be fabulous if each of us could memorize the whole Bible, God’s Holy breathed word... and then live in the confidence it grants us...but we won’t.  So we have this reminderer, who Does have the whole Bible memorized!

“All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14: 25-27)

“And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” (Romans 5:5, emphasis mine)


Reflection Question: Have you called on the Holy Spirit and asked Him to live in you and be a part of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment