“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Surprise Vineyard

I had just dropped off the boys at daycare and was in a hurry to get to work and in desperate need of some coffee.  So I pulled into my usual local coffee place, but it was closed. What nerve, I thought. I’m already late and grumpy because I didn’t have a chance to make coffee before I left the house. Now I have to go all the way to Starbucks, which is out of my way…and I’m running late.

So as I am waiting in line at the out of the way Starbucks when I see an Army Chaplain walk in the door… and his name was …. wait for it…. “Vineyard”. It made me giggle a little. Chaplain Vineyard, I just couldn’t hold back, I had to tell him that “he must have been destined to be in ministry with a name like vineyard”. He laughed, I’m sure he’d Never heard THAT one before… riiiiight.

As usual, God always has something for me to learn… even when, no… especially when, I’m in a hurry. No, I sure didn’t get my devotional in that morning. I had overslept, and sure enough, God wanted His time with me. He wanted me to know that HE is the most important thing in my life… though; most mornings I would swear it is COFFEE! Today, coffee and God mixed.

“So God, what are you telling me with your Vineyard placement?” –Me

He reminded me that ““I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:5-8; emphasis mine)

I can’t even get Coffee without Him for goodness sake!

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. (John 15:1-4; emphasis mine)

God is a jealous God. He wants our full attention and he will continue to “prune” us in order to make us be even more fruitful. For me to be most fruitful, I need to focus and put my effort into Him even more than any earthly thing.  I must remain true to my promise to God (remain in the vine). I cannot do it by myself, no matter how much I try or learn.

Reflection Question: What are you trying to “do” apart from God? What is He trying to prune in order to make you more fruitful?

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever heard of Proverbs 31 Ministries? I get their daily devotional emailed to me and your writing reminds me so much of something they would value! Maybe if you looked into it, there might be an opportunity to share your wisdom with even more women. I love reading your blog...keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete