“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The God Complex

Today I don't Feel strong and smart and loved. Today I just feel like a regular person in this crazy world. Our kids have been wild (as Usual), my work has been unfulfilling and I just feel kind of blah. I'm not depressed, but I'm also not in a state of joy either.

Every single day I need an overwhelming amount of affirmation. I need to be told I'm smart; I need to know that I'm strong. I fish for compliments so that I might feel a tinge beautiful. I practically beg my kids to tell me I'm a good mom so that I don't feel like an epic failure at that part of my life. Even the slightest bit of sarcastic negativism can throw me into a spiral of questioning my worth some days.

I would consider myself to have a strong faith. I also know that my faith is not determined by my feelings... but I am giving everyone around me a God Complex!  No, my family or coworkers are not trying to be God... but I am placing them in the position that belongs to God in order to determine my worth. Maybe I am letting them take the position of God because I listen to the people around me more than I listen to God.
So what does God say?

I am God’s adopted Daughter and I will share fully in the inheritance bestowed upon Christ.
“The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s Children. Now if we are children then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order tht we may also share in his glory.” Rom 8:16-17

God, the Almighty, is on my side.
“If God is for us, who can be against us?” Rom 8:31
“So we say with confidence, The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me.” Hebrews 13:6

If I am faithful to my trust in God, he will bring me through all things.
“And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Cor 10:13b

God has made me new!
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone and the new as come!” 2 Cor 5:17

He will always be with me, even when I don’t see it.
“Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in your will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Phil 1:6

I have a home and it is called Heaven.
“our citizenship is in heaven” Phil 3:20

Jesus gives me his strength.
“I can do everything through him who gives me strength” Phil 4:13

God has given me a powerful, loving and disciplined spirit.
“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Tim 1:7

The Lord gives me so many chances to get it right.
“The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.” James 5:11

The God who created the heavens and earth takes cares specially for me.
“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7

God Loves Me!!
“We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19

Jesus wants to come spend time with me.
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” Rev 3:20

The Lord listens to me and will help me in my troubles.
“The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.” Psalm 34:17

He removes all my blemishes.
“As far as the east is from the west so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:12

God has taken special care to make me who I am.
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful” Psalm 139:13-14


Reflection Question: Are you giving the people around you a “God Complex”? Are you letting them determine your worth?

2 comments:

  1. Great reflection on how much we expect from those around us. I often forget that everyone around me are just as human, just as fallible, and probably could use a compliment just as much if not more than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I will need to reflect on quite frequently. It becomes so easy to allow our worth to be determined by those around us, rather than the Father that resides within us.

    ReplyDelete