“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Against Us

If we could get all the affirmation we need in life from the people around us, we wouldn't need to put our hope in God.

I work with a guy who is higher than me on the totem-pole, you could say. I don't officially work for him, but I do have to listen to him.  Every time I see an email pop up with his name on it, my heart starts to race as though my body knows that an anxiety attack is about to ensue. Then, after I read whatever non-sense he has sent, a rage builds up in me.  I usually want to either throw my blackberry down the garbage-disposal or take a hatchet to my computer depending on where I am. He Never has anything positive to say. And often gives directives that are wrong or don't pass the commonsense test. Ugh. I know you're probably following me here. You know someone in your life just like this. Maybe it's your mother-in-law or your neighbor. But certainly you know someone who can take a perfectly good day and ruin it just by sending an email or opening their mouth.

So if we can't get the encouragement we need from the People of this world where Do we get it??

Well, after my last post, I'm looking to God's word for what He says about me.

"If God is for us, who could be against us?" (Rom 8:31)

"...we are more than conquerors through him who loved us” (Rom 8:37)

Hmm this is a good one too ;)
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" (Rom 15:13)

"Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession-- to the praise of his glory" (Eph 1:13b-14)
Whoa- God has marked me?? as HIS??

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Pet 5:7)

Just this week, while I was prepping for the small group of college students I'm going to start leading, I came across something that really hit home. “Our fulfillment in this life depends not on our skills to avoid life's problems, but on our ability to apply God's specific solutions to those problems.” (Search for Significance)

Reflection question: Are you letting the people around you determine your mood? Or are you taking it to Jesus?

1 comment: