“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mean Girl

From the beginning of time we were selfish.  Eve wanted to “be like God” so she ate of the forbidden fruit (Genesis 3). Adam and Eve’s son Cain killed his brother Abel, not because Abel did anything to Cain, but because God found Abel’s sacrifice to be worthy of His blessing and He found Cain’s to be lacking (Genesis 4).  He was jealous of his brother’s good favor.

Why do I do this? I am frustrated with something... maybe something from work, or some person who cut me off while I was driving. The next thing I know I’m yelling at my kids because they’re laughing too loud (yes, laughing... Really laughing?!?) or I’m being snappy or critical of my husband for something he’s done that is helpful for the family!! Ugh!

I want TO LOVE!

1 Cor 13:4-8
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  8Love never fails.

I want to be able to say “Loren is patient and kind; she is not self-seeking, easily angered, rude and keeps no record of wrongs”. I can’t say that about myself. Right now I feel more like “Loren is impatient and mean; she is selfish, easily angered, rude and holds a grudge.” So where does that come from? Why do I do these things and feel this way? How do I combat this?  

We are in a spiritual war for our hearts everyday. Our decisions and actions point to the condition of our hearts. We have the ability to choose which way our hearts are going to point. I can pray and trust God to change my heart to be of love, like His.

Reflection Question: Are you going to let the devil control your heart or are you going to give it over to God?

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You are right, I want to be able to say how patient and kind I am, but it seems that more often than not I am mean and quick to angry, and I always feel bad about it after the fact. Thank you for reminding me...I have things to strive for.

    ReplyDelete