“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Faithful

God must have a fully realized sense of humor. He likes to play “practical jokes” on me constantly!  Stuff that I just have to laugh at or I’d cry!
Wednesday night was the “first night” of the College group I offered to start at my lovely church.  I have really felt a calling toward college students for awhile now. It was in college that I personally found my relationship with Christ. Plus there has never been a college group here. We have youth group for the high schoolers, we have Sunday School for the kiddos, we have Bible Studies that cater to the “adults” aka parents and non-college age, but nothing for that vital time in life called college.  “See a need, fill a need.” – I just love animated movies, such great lessons they teach!! (from Robots for those less-animated movie-versed folks)
My worst fear was that no one would show up; that I would be left all alone at a table with no one to talk to. Hard to believe, I know, since I’m so quiet and reserved… ha ha ha.  So my prayer has been “God, please let someone show up.”   Sure enough, the Bible Study Coordinator announces my study and asks if anyone is here for the college group…. crickets.  I smile through the anxiety and sadness building up in me. I remind myself that ministry is not easy, or everyone would do it. I remind myself that God is always faithful; I just need to stay the course and continue to seek him.
After a moment, the coordinator realized that one of the regular Bible Study leaders was not there, and suggests that her members attend my Bible Study.  Six people made their way to my table. Isn’t God so faithful? No, it was NOT the way I expected him to answer my prayer that someone show up.  But it IS an answered prayer. He also taught me a valuable lesson.  Essentially my worst fear did come true. No college students actually showed up to my Bible Study this first week… but I survived! I got a “practice run” of leading a Bible Study again, which I haven’t done in probably 5 or 6 years (Holy Cow- I didn’t realize it’s been that LONG!) and got some great feedback and met some wonderful people in my Church Family. God taught me that even if my worst fears DO come true, He will always be there with me, the whole way, and WE will always make it through together.  My worst fears will not defeat me.
 6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."  (Joshua 1:6-9) (emphasis mine)
Reflection Question: Are you missing out on God's faithfulness and answered prayers because they are not happening the way You expected?

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite songs is Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers." Although, I don't look at them as unanswered, they are simply not played out the way I originally envisioned. Looking back, if He were to have answered all those prayers I prayed, I would not have been able to be where I am now. His prevenient grace knows where I am headed, and I have to trust that His direction will get me there.

    ReplyDelete