“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hero

6 months ago yesterday, an American Hero gave the ultimate sacrifice. I had the honor of serving his family as their Casualty Assistance Officer. My Hero left behind a 21 year old wife and 18 month old daughter as well as a loving mother, father, sister and brother.  I laughed and cried with my new family as I did my best to ensure they had all of the available resources afforded to them, but no matter how much help I brought, it would never bring back their Hero.  He knew the risks and faced them anyway. I wear my bracelet to remember this Hero in my heart always.  May we never forget.


As I reflect on the sacrifice of My Hero, I can’t help but think about the fact that we are not guaranteed another day, we may not have a tomorrow. If you knew that tomorrow you would face your maker what would you do differently?  What if you would face Him in a month, or a year? Would you spend that year loving your neighbor? Would you spend more time in prayer? Would you finally find a church to be active in?

James 4:13-17 13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. 17Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

This very same reflection changed my life the day after the twin towers fell on 9/11.  I realized that my number could come up Any day and I wasn't going to make excuses for living for God when I was out of college or when I had more time or I got married anymore. I turned my heart over to Him on September 12, 2001. Now I could never go back for He is faithful!

Reflection Question: What excuse would you make to God for not giving Him your all if you met Him today? How are you going to stop procrastinating TODAY?

**This Blog Entry is posted in Honor of ALL Gold Star Family Members**

No comments:

Post a Comment